Friday, April 1, 2011

Curio & Curio Flinders and Two Ruffians stuff

Time Flys!


I spoke to my mate Ali Augur yesterday, and it was magic. It made me think that I should really write down all that I've been up to over the last 6 months.


On the 27th of Sept last year Clair ( Curio & Curio ) and I went on a little trip down the coast to Flinders for her birthday. We always seemed to be working, so her birthday seemed the perfect excuse to take a day off and relax. Well in true Nick & Clair style, we managed to leave Flinders with a verbal agreement on a small shop, and more work! 


3 weeks later we signed the lease, we had a shop, an hour from our home, no money, one car, and a grubby shell that needed some work, and stock! Oh No!


Luckily we've got a bank manager that saw something in these 2 slightly mad creatives, and we got just enough money to get the shop sorted, and Curio & Curio open 1 week before Christmas. For the next 6 weeks we opened the shop 7 days a week, and it was amazing! people were coming in and buying all our hand printed homewares and clothing, and loving
our bright colours!


Below is a shot of Curio & Curio in Real Living mag's 'We're Loving' section.


Below is an article on Artisan Shops in this months Home Beautiful mag feature Curio & Curio. We've only been open for 4 months, and Clair only started designing her Curio & Curio range last August! 

So it's been a busy time for us, but I have to say that opening the shop is the most positive thing I've ever done in my life, and huge confidence booster.

The downside of running the shop is that our websites are way behind, but I hope to have Clair's new site finished by the end of next week, and then I can start on mine. Two Ruffians have lots of new art prints that have been flying out the shop, plus some cool new homewares
and clothing designs.

Below is a photo taken in the shop this morning, of Two Ruffians new unisex 'Pocket watch' cardi and 'London Electric' jersey scarf. I printed both of them yesterday.


I went along to Dawn Tan's pop up shop at Harvest Textiles last night. It was really cool meeting the girls behind the designs and having a nose at their studio. Jess even sounded me out about possibly teaching a class for a day, as she said they needed something for the guys. Now that would be incredible! 

If you get the chance to visit the Harvest Textiles studio you should, and if you want to learn how to print these are the girls for you.

More coming this way......




2 comments:

PrettyMyWorld said...

That's such great news that you have a sphopfront operating! If I get down that way, I will definately pop in for a browse.

Congrats!

two ruffians said...

Wicked! Kristan. It would be cool to meet you.