Monday, September 13, 2010

For My Dad

It would have been my Dad's birthday today, but unfortunately he died three and a half years ago. My Dad was very encouraging and always there for a bit of advise, he was truly a brilliant Dad. 


My life has changed direction from that moment. I was determined not to waste a second longer hiding behind creative friends, always looking in, but never quite having the confidence to join in.


Two Ruffians was born, I bought a macbook, adobe creative suites, a silk screen, some ink and some photo emulsion. I didn't care what people thought of my designs, as I new I was learning on the job and would get better if I stuck at it.


So today I thought I'd share with you a card that I designed, from my favourite photograph of my Dad. The photo was taken at Victoria Falls on the Zambian side about 13 years ago. It was my first trip to Africa, and my Dad had asked me to come with him as he set up a company, and had various meetings with farmers in rural Zambia.


On our trip from Lusaka to Livingstone we dodged pot holes the size of elephants. I made friends with some locals, as I waited for a plane to land on and airstrip, in the middle of a field of maze. People would appear then disappear into the 4 meter high maze, and scattered like ants when the plane came into land.


I was so happy to make it to Livingstone in one piece, we checked into the hotel, got changed and set off to Victoria Falls. This is where this photo was taken. But in true Two Ruffians style I can't find the original photo.


So here's the card. 


My Dad at Victoria Falls at sun set. A magical man and a magical place.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Two Ruffians. Sorry to read that about Mr. Two Ruffians Snr. Nice tribute. My Dad died of leukaemia in August 2007 - pretty close to yours I suspect. Sucks, eh?

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, it is very touching to read your lines, it gave me goosebumps.... but what a sweet idea to celebrate his life and his most memorable moment by creating that card, Nick. That image kind of has a magical flair!! Big hugs to you and keep on the creativity!!! Karin & Mike

Ruth said...

Hi Mr. Two Ruffians!! Sorry it's taken me so long to do this, and I don't even have a good excuse. Life just so busy, but hey, it's the same for everyone.
Well your Dad was truely brilliant, and I really do know. He was my R.H.W.M.Uncle John, that is rich, handsome, wonderful, modest of course. When I was growing up my Dad was at sea so he was often away for a long time and as a wee kid it felt like forever.
Unks however filled the gap. He was really special, and made ever weekend special as well. One of my strongest memories was driving in his car. I'm not that old, 49....some may disagree, but not that many of my pals had cars so we thought we were great. One time he borrowed a wee triumph sports car. Unks me and Susan drove all over the Trossachs, Scotland with the radio blaring. There were two songs that stick in my mind. I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden and stand up and throw your knickers in the air. I don't have a clue who sang them I just remember thinking we were really grown up.
the other thing that was special was Diddums Dolls. Every Saturday he would let me and Susan pick one, we must have had some collection. They were really small dolls, each had a funny expression and funny hair. I must google that and see if I can find any.
I could write forever now I've started, when you both get back later this year we can get together and swap stories.
If I had to pick just one word that reminded me of Unks, I think it would simply be "funny".
I often speak to Unks and think of him most days, one things for certain, he will never be forgotten. Lots of Love Ruth xx