Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dial a designer! 40 t-shirts from scratch in two and a half days

White Nest are a really great stockist of Curio and Curio on the Mornington Peninsula, outside Melbourne. A couple of weeks ago Lee called me from the Airport having spent a couple of days up in Sydney at the trade shows.


She'd ordered some fluro skinny kids jeans from a French company and couldn't find any t-shirts she liked, so she called me. White Nest were already stocking our 'Takin' Shapes' range of homewares and prints, where I've used simple shapes with bold bright and fluro colours for some standout pieces ( See previous post below ). 


I was assigned the task of downsizing and adjusting those existing designs so that they would work on 40 kids t-shirts. 


On Tuesday morning I started cutting stencils ( all of this is taught in my workshops ), last night I finished the printing and this morning I heat set each t-shirt by hand. You may be asking yourself 'How does he make any money?' and you'd be right to question it.


One design, one colour print x 40 could take as little as 1 hour to print, these kids t-shirts were in lots of different colours and a few had 3 colours which is why it took so long. For me it's about doing as much as I can to separate myself from the rest of the pack. It's always about the point of difference and USP. Who else could have turn that around in such a short space of time whilst being responsible for each part of the process. 


These are my skills and it's important that I use them otherwise there is no point. I believe that it's my ability to change design direction very quickly, that will ensure a bright future. I'm not about to get hamstrung by convention or mislead by to days herd mentality. 


Here's some photos I took of the design process and shots of the final printed t-shirts on a quick media release that I sent out after finishing the t-shirts.











Have a wicked even!


Nick

1 comment:

custom clothing said...

You really have the skills Nick. Using that one in the business is the right idea. The good thing about your design is that it is simple and yet artistic.